Monday 1 June 2015

Progress Test 2!


After three navigation flights going around the SE/SW practice area with an instructor is the next progress test. This came around so fast for me because of how often I’d been flying and I didn't feel that prepared for it, although I did feel less nervous than I was for PT1. I went in early on the day (4:30am start) and did the aural part of the test which just covered some features of the map, answering questions about air spaces and then gave a weather brief.

However, the weather on the day did not look good with KIWA (Mesa Gateway airport which is our local alternate airport) was reporting gusts of 25 knots and there was a NOTAM for CBs in the area; I decided it would be best to cancel my PT and schedule it for another day as you’re expected to perform as if it was still air. This was a ‘pilot’s decision’ as if I was solo I certainly wouldn't want to go out and all the instructors respect it if you don’t feel up to going. So although I was disappointed I think I made the right choice.

For my test I didn't need to do the questioning again and just got on with the flight after a normal weather brief. I had planned a navigation route to perform and you’re supposed to work out the ETAs to within two minutes of the actual time you get there; mine were pretty good and I didn’t have much difficulty locating the checkpoints (most of them I had already seen before). You’re then given a diversion en-route so have to alter your plan mid-flight whilst maintaining altitude and heading. For this you also need to work out a heading, VOR radial, speed, distance and ETA and then arrive at the actual place. I adjusted my heading a few times for this leg but found it close to my ETA so I was happy.

Back on the ground at Falcon I was told I’d passed and I was delighted; this now means I get an endorsement in my logbook which means I’m allowed to do solo Cross-countries!


I don’t have a picture for this post (and I hate too much reading and no pictures) so here, Mass and Balance sheets galore! 



No comments:

Post a Comment